Monday, June 24, 2013

My Gear

Here is a list of the gear that I use on most of my runs and some of my thoughts on that gear.  I am not specifically advocating any of the gear, just sharing my opinions and preferences.

GPS:
Garmin Forerunner 305 - I have had this watch for over 3 years now and have been very happy with it.  It is kind of big and clunky, but it works well and was cheap (compared to other GPS watches).  I use the heart-rate monitor on most of my runs and really love this feature.  I like that the battery lasts for over 10 hours, which makes it good for ultras.  Even though it is billed as not being water proof, it is continually drenched in my sweat, I have dunked the watch more than a few times, and worn it in heavy rain without ever having issues.  The watch does occasionally lock up, but a hard reset has fixed it every time.

Hydration:
CamelBak Quick Grip handheld water bottle - I have a few of these bottles and love them  This is my main hydration for almost any run where I carry water (for long runs I even carry 2).  They are insulated and keep your drink cold pretty well.  I like the "jet valve" on top.  It doesn't require any twisting or biting and it doesn't really leak.  One drawback is that the pocket on the hand strap is pretty small and is really only big enough for 1 gel (you can squeeze 2 in but it is really tight).

Nathan HPL #020 race vest - I don't typically wear a hydration pack, but when I need to carry a little extra water and gear I will wear this one.  I love the way it fits and love the pockets in front for quick access to gear or food.  It doesn't bounce or wiggle and I can wear it all day without chafing.  I have even worn it with no shirt for over 10 hours and not had any issues.  I also like that the bladder opens up wide and is easy to fill with ice (and easy to clean).

Light:
AyUp headlamp- I LOVE this light.  It is kind of pricey, but it rocks the party (and lights it up like daytime).  My opinion is that the more light you have the faster you can run (or bike) at night.  I have an older model that is 350 lumens and I have the half-epic battery pack.  On high it lasts for about 3 hours, on low it will last around 8 (I have friends that have newer ones and theirs don't last quite as long).  I don't mind wearing a headlamp and think this is perfectly comfortable.  I have worn it all night long a few times and never had issues.  It is good for running, biking, adventure racing, and more.

Shoes:
This could easily be an entire post or series of posts, so I will just keep it very brief here.  As a quick background I have a wide foot and tend to over-pronate.

Road Shoes:
Nike Structure Triax - I have probably owned 10+ pairs of various versions of these shoes and have been wearing them for most of my running career.  This are my old faithful companions.
Brooks Pure Cadence 2 - The newest addition to my "stable".  I am really starting to like them a lot.  The lower drop has taken some getting used to, but they are light, comfy, and make me want to go fast!
Hoka Stinson Evo Tarmac - Still not sure what to think of these shoes.  I tried on all of the different Hoka models and these were the only ones that seemed to fit my foot.  I only wear them occasionally on easy or recovery days.  I just don't think they are right for me.

Trail Shoes:
New Balance Leadville 1210 - I have only had this shoe for a little while, but I am really loving it.  My favorite trail shoe so far (for longer distances).  Did Hell's Hills 50 miler in them pretty much right out of the box and they held up a lot better than I did!
New Balance MT110 - I bought these because Academy had them on sale for $30 and have wound up really liking them (and bought a second pair).  I use these for shorter trail runs and races.  They are perfect for the Tour de Bayou cross country races.

Clothes:
I don't really have any strong preferences here.  I like shorts with lots of pockets, and I wear shirts from races (when I wear a shirt).  I am also not that picky on socks.  I prefer thicker socks and have been happy with the pairs of Wright Socks and Drymax socks that I have.

...and don't forget the BodyGlide.  No, seriously, Don't Forget It!  You will regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment